BarTender v10.0 Service Release Downloads
The free Service Release at the bottom of this page can only be used to update existing
copies of BarTender where the version number begins with 10.0.
If your BarTender software is older than version 10.0:
- You can update for free to the latest service release available for your version. However, as long as your version is 9.2 or greater, you can always purchase an update to the very latest version of BarTender.
About BarTender 10.0
BarTender 10.0 was first released on March 1, 2012. Please click here for more detailed information about BarTender
BarTender 10.0 Service Releases
Service Release #4 ("SR4") of BarTender version 10.0 was released on February 15, 2013 with a number of bug fixes for BarTender, the BarTender SDK, and Batch Maker.
Service Release #3 ("SR3") of BarTender version 10.0 was released on January 2, 2013 with the following enhancements:
- Bug Fixes: This service release fixes a few bugs existing in previous versions of BarTender, Commander, and Web Print Server.
- Translations: Translations for the Send Information to Support wizard have been updated.
Service Release #2 ("SR2") of BarTender version 10.0 was released on October 12, 2012 with the following enhancements:
- New Operating System Support: SR2 has been formally certified by
Microsoft as Windows® 8 compatible. SR2 has also been tested and approved by Seagull as compatible with Windows Server 2012. All versions of BarTender 10, including SR2, are backward compatible with older versions of Windows back through Windows XP.
- Performance Improvements:
- Creating and editing Word Processor and RTF Markup objects is faster and more responsive.
- Speed has been improved when using PDF images as picture objects.
- Web Print Server: The Web Print Server has been redesigned to use the Print Server SDK. This allows the Web Print Server to benefit from the performance and stability improvements that were added to the Print Server SDK in BarTender 10.0 SR1. For a list of these improvements, click here.
- VBScript Assistant Improvements: The VBScript Assistant has been updated to show a number of additional functions.
- Commander: In very rare instances, certain users have configured
multiple instances of Commander running from multiple machines to scan a single folder for the creation
of files. In support of this, BarTender version 9.1 introduced a file-locking scheme to ensure that individual files were properly managed
by the multiple instances of Commander. Unfortunately, it was recently learned that this Windows-based file-locking methodology was not compatible with some non-Windows
file servers. Because it is common to have non-Windows file servers and NOT
common to have multiple instances of Commander scanning the same folder, SR2 now
turns off Commander's file-locking scheme by default.
- Bug Fixes: A number of bugs existing in previous versions and service releases have been fixed.
Service Release #1 ("SR1") of BarTender version 10.0 was released on May 25, 2012.
Although there were NOT any serious bugs or stability problems that needed repair,
there are a variety of enhancements that many users will find useful. These
- Translations Completed: Some user-interface components that had
been new to version 10 had initially been released as "English only." That
content has now been translated into the 22 additional languages supported by BarTender.
- Edition Emulation: It is now much easier for both Trial users
and purchasing customers to try out the individual feature sets provided by each
of the four BarTender editions.
- Previously, users of the Trial edition were basically trying out the Enterprise
Automation edition. It was easy for them to confirm that the features they
needed were available, but it took somewhat more effort to determine which of the
four editions they actually needed.
- Within the first 30 days, users of a purchased edition could also easily try out
features normally only available in the Enterprise Automation edition. (In
this case, any features not normally available in the user's purchased edition would
have the text "(Trial)" listed within the feature description.)
In each of the above two cases, after designing the document that you need using
BarTender, you could run the Help, Edition Requirements option within BarTender
to learn which edition is required to address the design features you ended up using.
Although this approach still works, BarTender SR1 now offers the added convenience
of true "Edition Emulation." This allows users of any edition (including
Trial) to try any other edition (instead of being limited to trying out just our
highest-end Enterprise Automation edition). For example, Trial users that
think they might only need the Professional edition can quickly switch to emulating
exactly that edition, instead of being limited to effectively trying out only the
Enterprise Automation edition.
The edition to emulate can be specified at install time and easily changed later
from within BarTender using the Help, Edition Selection option. As with the previous
approach, purchasing users that emulate a higher edition will still see the text
"(Trial)" listed within the description of higher-end features for the first 30
days. In the past, however, once this first 30 day period was over, these
"Trial" features were no longer available. Now, with SR1, these features continue
to be available for use after the first 30 days are over. However, using any of
them causes the BarTender document to print in "demo mode." (This causes one character
in each barcode, text or other data string to be altered at print-time.)
- BarTender User-Interface Improvements:
- Object Creation Improvements:
- BarTender's Text Toolbar and Line and Shape Toolbar are now always active.
(Previously, they were only active when an appropriate object was selected.)
This new capability allows you to specify settings for objects before you
create them. For example, you can choose a default font and point size before
you create one or more text objects. Or specify a line thickness and
color before you draw a line.
- "Lock aspect ratio" is now the default setting for certain shapes that should, by
default, be based on circular or square shapes (such as arcs, pies, rings, chords,
stars and regular polygons).
- When drawing or resizing shapes, holding down the Shift key temporarily overrides
the selected object's current Lock Aspect Ratio checkbox setting. For example,
objects based on squares and circles (which default to Lock Aspect Ratio being checked)
can be stretched in a single direction if you depress the Shift key when resizing.
Similarly, objects based on rectangles and ovals (which default to Lock Aspect Ratio
being unchecked) will temporarily force any resizing to be proportional if you hold
down the Shift key.
- Better feedback when objects cannot be moved or resized: Previously,
if you attempted to move a locked object, it simply wouldn't move. However,
there was no feedback explaining why. Similarly, if you tried to grab and
resize an object using a hollow (instead of color-filled) handle, the object simply
wouldn't resize. Again, there was no explanation of why from BarTender.
Now, when you attempt to move a locked object or resize it using a hollow handle,
a helpful pop-up message explains the situation and provides instructions on what
settings need to be changed in order to carry out the desired action.
- Improved Print Station Performance:
- The Print Station companion application is now optimized for faster printing.
- Recently-used BarTender documents are now retained in memory instead of having to
be loaded again from scratch for subsequent print jobs of the same document. (Print
Station is now using the same document caching technology previously added to the
Commander companion application.)
- In addition, Print Station Setup now allows you optionally specify any BarTender
documents you would like to have preloaded into memory. Any such
documents start out cached in memory and ready to use, even before you have printed
them for the first time.
- Since Print Station uses the BarTender SDK, it benefits from the SDK stability enhancements
- Print Server SDK Improvements: Applications based on the
BarTender Print Server SDK now benefit from a number of performance enhancements.
This includes the same stability improvements that Commander received as part of
BarTender 9.4 SR3. New capabilities include:
- Restarting the BarTender process if it becomes unresponsive.
- Automatically restarting the BarTender process on a schedule.
- Document caching.
The new properties and methods are summarized here. (For more detail, please consult
the SDK documentation.)
- IsResponsive property added to Engine and TaskEngine classes.
- ResponsiveTimeout property added to Engine, TaskEngine, and TaskEngines classes.
- RestartSchedule and StartupCommand properties added to TaskManager class.
- Additional Start() method added to TaskManager class in support of document caching
- CloseFormatAfterCompletion property added to all tasks that open BarTender documents.
- Priority property added to Task class.
- SLS Improvements: A User pane has been added to the Seagull License
Server that allows administrators to view the active connections to SLS by user
name. (A feature similar to this was present in versions of SLS prior to 9.3.
It has now been restored by customer request.)
- Installer user-interface more easily supports a minimal download size:
Early in the install process, when users are asked to select an edition, they
are given a new option of specifying either "Trial" or one of the four available-for-purchase
editions. If the "Trial" option is selected, users are offered the option
of a minimal, full, or custom download. When downloading and installing from
the web over a slow internet connection, the option of downloading only the modules
that you need can significantly speed up your install time.
After downloading the latest BarTender 10.0 service release:
- If you Already Installed a Version of BarTender 10.0: Do
not bother to remove your old software. Simply, install the Service Release over
your existing installation of BarTender 10.0. You will not be prompted
to re-enter your original Product Key Code (PKC).
- If you Never Installed BarTender 10.0: Simply perform a new
install of your downloaded BarTender 10.0 service release. When prompted for a Product
Key Code (PKC), provide the one that came with your original copy of BarTender 10.0.
The "Web Installer" option lets you choose between a full download and saving time
by downloading only the modules you want. The larger "Full Download" downloads the
full BarTender Suite, including Librarian, Security Center, Commander, Printer Maestro,
Print Station and the rest of the Companion Applications. They also include the
BarTender .NET SDKs and Seagull License Server.
|Software to Download||Version||Date||Size
If you are updating an installation of either of the two Automation editions, we
recommend that you also update Seagull License Server (SLS). (This is not needed
for Basic and Professional editions.) You can download SLS using either of the download